OPEN CALL FOR COMICS ILLUSTRATORS!!!
In the framework of the EU Creative Europe Programme a consortium of partners from Armenia, Georgia and Ukraine are implementing a comics genre development project Visual Stories from Armenia, Georgia and Ukraine. The final product of the project will be a comic book with stories from three women writers, one from each country, outlining the women’s perspective on war, their role in it and its impact on their lives.
The winner of this competition will work with the writer in the respective country on making the story into a comics, with coordination by the editor of the project.
To learn more about the project, involved writers and editor, please click on the tab below.
Who can apply?
- Georgian, Armenian or Ukrainian citizens
- With a working knowledge of English language
- With strong skills in digital illustrator programs are highly preferable
- Past experience in creating a comic book or picture book will be considered as an advantage
When is the evaluation process – The selected candidates will be notified by the end of January 2024
What we offer to the selected candidates – A 3 day workshop with two sessions with a local trainer offline and one session with an international expert online at the end of January.
How we select the winner – After the workshop a task will be assigned to all the participants with a short deadline for submission.
The winner of the competition will be selected based on their participation at the trainings and submitted assignment.
The winner will be announced in February 2024.
Requirements for selected illustrator
- collaborate with the project writer and editor to create a comic based on the story of the project writer (estimated size 20-28 pages) throughout February-October 2024.
- agree to travel to 4-day fully covered residencies in Armenia (April 2024), Germany (June 2024), Georgia (September 2024) and project final presentation in October 2025 in Frankfurt, Germany.
- agree to take part at the project related promotional events locally and internationally throughout 2025.
- agree to work in a multicultural environment.
Please note that the copyright for the final product (the comics story) will stay with the project consortium partners.
Honorarium of the finalist 3000 EURO (including taxes)
- Motivation letter (in English, maximum 200 words)
- Resume or CV (in English)
- Artistic portfolio (PDF or link to online portfolio)
- One example of sketch-to-final illustration drawings (if any)
Trainer - Tigran Mangasaryan
Tigran Mangasaryan has around 40 years of experience in designing, producing graphic novels and comic books. Tigran has illustrated and produced more than 40 books, among the recent ones are graphic novels ZAKO. Green Fruit, Hayk and Bell, and David of Sasun. In 1988 Tigran introduced graphic novels to Armenia as an art form illustrating JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. He exhibited his works at Angoulême International Comics Festival in 2011 and 2012 and worked in Angoulême (France) producing several graphic novels. He conducted training on comics illustration for more than 10 years.
Trainer - Sole Otero
Sole Otero is a comic artist, children’s illustrator, and textile designer. She has published the graphic novels Poncho Fue, Intensa, and most recently Naftalina (Mothballs), which won the Fnac-Salamandra Graphic Novel Award in 2019, and which was published in 2020 through Random House. In 2023 it won the Audience Award from the Angouleme International Comics Festival. Ever active, Sole is working concurrently on many projects, ranging from graphic novels, online courses, comics for children and illustrations for books.
“Co-Funded by the European Union. Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only
and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union Neither the European Union nor the granting authority can be held responsible for them.”