Write in Armenia International Writing Camp
Write in Armenia International Writing Camp creates opportunity for young writers to get together in an extensive creative writing program to learn from each other and about each other. The program of the camp is developed in cooperation with the International Writing Program of the University of Iowa and is based on their model of Between the Lines program.
IWC consists of lectures on literature and other creative disciplines, writing sessions, sessions on photo, video and onstage performances, play-writing, slam poetry, team building and communication exercises, readings, group discussions, National 101 days, cultural tours, and a lot of fun.
Write in Armenia International Writing Camp’s first edition in 2018 was supported by the US Embassy in Armenia.
Write in Armenia 2020
The implementation of the program will depend on the pandemic situation: if travel restrictions are lifted, it will be held in an off-line format in Armenia; if travel restrictions are in place it will be held in an on-line format.
In case the program is held in an off-line format, the organizers will cover travel expenses, lodging and meals for the whole period of the program. Program participants will be responsible for their own visa arrangements and visa-related expenses.
The results of the selection and the dates of the camp will be finalized in October 2020, and the selected participants will be notified additionally on the timeline and the format of the camp. Presumably, it will be conducted either in late autumn of 2020 or in spring of 2021, pending the developments with the COVID-19 pandemic and the opening of borders.
Armenia – Armen of Armenia, Aram Pachyan, Turkey – Defne Suman
Participants eligibility criteria
- Age limit 18-24
- Functionally fluent in English
- Strong interest in writing as a criteria
- Strong interest in the camp justified in the cover letter
- Creative merit of writing samples
- Record of extracurricular activity
Selection committee members
- ARI Literature Foundation representatives
- Write in Armenia faculty members
- Funding organization representative
- Completed Application Form (in English)
- Motivation letter (in English). Please elaborate on the role of cultural diplomacy in the dialogue between Armenia and Turkey
- Resume (in English)
- Writing sample: 250-500 words of fiction or 25-50 lines for poetry (in your native language)
- Writing sample: min 200 words of fiction or 20 lines of poetry (in English)
To apply please submit the documents below to the both of the following addresses:
for participants from Armenia email@example.com
for participants from Turkey and firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submitting applications is September 20, 2020
*Incomplete applications will be disregarded.
This activity takes place within the framework of the Sub-grants Scheme implemented by Eurasia Partnership Foundation as part of the “Support to the Armenia-Turkey Normalization Process: Stage 3” programme, funded by the European Union.