Calouste Gulbenkian Translation Series
ARI Literature Foundation is coordinating Calouste Gulbenkian Translation Series Project in Armenia.
The Armenian Communities Department of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation is launching a translation series, which aims to make seminal texts in the humanities and the social sciences available in Armenian.
The translations may be in Eastern or Western Armenian, depending on the availability of translators. Through this initiative we aim to make texts available to scholars and students principally in Armenia, with the aim of facilitating the advancement of intellectual discourse.
This initiative will also contribute to the modernisation of the Armenian language, incorporating into it new vocabulary, and increase the pool of translators into and out of Armenian. We will develop and disseminate tools and resources, as well as consider supporting training schemes for translators.
An internationally based committee of experts has been established to recommend the texts for translation. The committee members are:
- Shushan Avagyan – Literary translator and lecturer, Translation Certificate Program, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, American University of Armenia.
- Vardan Azatyan – Associate Professor, Yerevan State Academy of Fine Arts; Lecturer, Institute of Contemporary Art, Yerevan; President, The Ashot Johanissyan Research Institute in the Humanities, Armenia.
- Hagop Gulludjian – Lecturer in Armenian Studies, Department of Near Eastern Languages & Cultures, UCLA, USA.
- Smbat Hovhannisyan – Lecturer at the Chair of World History, Department of History, Yerevan State University, Armenia.
- Armine Ishkanian – Assistant Professor and Programme Director of the MSc in Social Policy and Development, London School of Economics and Political Science, UK.
- Raymond Kévorkian – Directeur émérite de recherche, Institut Français de Géopolitique, Université Paris VIII, Saint-Denis.
- Ardashes Margosyan – Formerly of Aras Yayıncılık Publishing, Istanbul.
- Ara Sanjian – Associate Professor in Armenian and Middle Eastern History, Director of the Armenian Research Center, University of Michigan at Dearborn, USA.
The “Calouste Gulbenkian Translation Series” will launch a dedicated webpage that will offer electronic versions of the translations (wherever possible), translations of new terminologies, discussions of translational issues, resources and opportunities for translators and publishers, as well as regular news about the development of the initiative.